
This is me at about age 19 months old with my great grandpa Russell "Kit" Carson. He is my grandmother's step father, and was a very important person in my families history. He died April 5, 1976 (one day before my birthday). I remember sitting in my grandparent's car driving to Lansing where Great grandpa lived, and seeing these HUGE smoke stacks, 3 in a row, and was amazed at how big they were. It wasn't until I was an adult and I was going to the Library of Michigan in Lansing, to do Genealogy research when I saw them...and I said to my friend who was riding with me... "I know them, I've seen them before..." Well I went home and called my grandma and asked her why I would think I knew those smoke stacks..and she told me that the funeral home where they held Grandpa Russell's funeral was a few blocks away from the Capital (which is really close to the library) she said that I talk constantly about those smoke stacks, she said that I even walked up to the coffin and told "ganpa" a
bout the "kok sacks" she and I laughed for days after. On the next Sunday my gram and I got to talking about it again, then I asked her... "Gram who was that really old man that would come and visit you guys and always found money in my ears..." She laughed and said that it was Grandpa Russell. She said that I always called him "Ganpa" and he was completely amazed by me. She told me that before I came to live with them, he worried daily about my safety.
bout the "kok sacks" she and I laughed for days after. On the next Sunday my gram and I got to talking about it again, then I asked her... "Gram who was that really old man that would come and visit you guys and always found money in my ears..." She laughed and said that it was Grandpa Russell. She said that I always called him "Ganpa" and he was completely amazed by me. She told me that before I came to live with them, he worried daily about my safety.This last pic is Grandma Viola & Grandpa Russell.
3 comments:
Sounds like you had a wonderful memeory of Grandpa Kit.
What a great post...love the photos :)
Sherry, do you know what the odds must be against having a photo for your first memory? Wow, I am so totally jealous, LOL. Great post! xoxo
Post a Comment